In its move to reinvigorate the tradition of celebrating the international motoring world’s top accolade for most exceptional classic car, The Peninsula Hotels announced the six extraordinary vehicles that will be eligible to receive the inaugural The Peninsula Classics Best of the Best Award.
The award will bring together the 2015 best of show winners, ranging from early production to mid-1960s Italian race cars, from six of the top concours events around the globe to compete for the title of the most exceptional car in the world.
The ultimate winner of The Peninsula Classics Best of the Best Award will be announced at a private dinner during the prestigious historic Monterey Car Week on Tuesday, August 16, 2016.
The Hon. Sir Michael Kadoorie, Chairman of The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels, Limited, and parent company of The Peninsula Hotels, together with award co-founders Christian Philippsen, William E. “Chip” Connor and Bruce Meyer, created this award in the spirit of celebrating the best of what defines the automotive world for the year. Each of the founders are widely heralded as some the world’s foremost international motoring experts, brought together by their appreciation of fine motor vehicles, immaculate restoration and the preservation of their heritage.
“We are thrilled to pay homage to the finest attributes of the motor vehicles we celebrate at this year’s The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering,” said Kadoorie. “The Peninsula Classics Best of the Best Award marks a new milestone as the first of many extraordinary presentations of the most elite cars on the concours circuit and we couldn’t be more thrilled to be a part of elevating the legacy our event has come to manifest.”
The finalists chosen to be showcased at the event as the most elite driving machines are as follows:
· 1903 Mercedes 60HP Simplex: Royal Concours of Elegance
The Mercedes is one of only four in existence today, having been preceded by the Mercedes 35hp, which had once been the fastest production car in the world. It remains Mercedes’ top of the range model and was named Best in Show at the Royal Concours of Elegance.
· 1932 Isotta Fraschini Tipo 8A S Sport Cabriolet: Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
Best in Show at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in 2015, this magnificent car has had only four owners from new, and it has lived a quiet life in Switzerland and France its entire life until coming to North America in 2014.
· 1930 Cord L29 Brooks Stevens Speedster: Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance
Before taking home Best of Show at the 20th Annual Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, this hot rod was heralded as defining the mid-century American aesthetic in the automotive industry.
· 1937 Talbot-Lago T150C SS ‘Goutte d’Eau’: Goodwood Cartier Style et Luxe
This masterful coachwork by Figoni et Falaschi has won prizes at every major concours in pre-war Europe and is famed for having both redefined automotive style and having won top-level races. The ‘Teardrop’ became trend setting and motivated many other French manufacturers to consider a similar streamlined design.
· 1965 Ferrari 166 P / 206 SP Dino 0834: Cavallino Classic
Having most recently won the coveted Scuderia Ferrari Cup for Best of Show at the Cavallino Classic, this one-of-a-kind Dino was first entered by Scuderia Ferrari in 1965 and raced by Giancarlo Baghetti and later by Ludovico Scarfiotti to many wins over its long history.
· 1968 Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 Stradale: The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering
This model was derived from the Alfa Romeo 33/2 racing cars with the goal of creating a sports car staying as true to its racing heritage as possible. The Stradale is fitted with a 2 liter DOHC V8 producing 230 BHP, while the chassis was extended 10 centimeters for additional driver comfort from the 33/2. Since its restoration in 2004, this Tipo 33 Stradale has won four top honors, including Best in Show at the 2015 The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering.
The Best of Show winners from the six most prestigious international car shows will be reviewed by 24 preeminent motorcar experts, designers and notable celebrities in the motoring world, including:
· Anne Asensio, best known for her work as former Executive Design Director at General Motors
· Chris Bangle, best known for his work as Chief of Design for the BMW Group
· Singh Manvendra Barwani, well known auto enthusiast
· Peter Brock, best known for his work on the Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe and Corvette Sting Ray
· Ian Callum, Director of Design for Jaguar Cars
· Miles Collier, who spearheaded the design behind the world-class Collier Collection
· Luc Donckerwolke, designer for Hyundai‘s Genesis premium brand
· Fabio Filippini, Design Director of Pininfarina
· Henry Ford III, the great-great grandson of Ford Motor founder Henry Ford
· Charles Gordon-Lennox, Lord March, Founder of the Goodwood Festival of Speed and President of the British Automobile Racing Club
· Ralph Lauren, global fashion tycoon
· Jay Leno, comedian and host of Jay Leno’s Garage on NBC
· Flavio Manzoni, automobile designer best known for his work at Ferrari, Lancia and Volkswagen
· Nick Mason, former Pink Floyd drummer and classic car enthusiast
· François Melcion, Director of Rétromobile chez Comexposium
· Gordon Murray, best known for his work as a designer of Formula One race cars and the McLaren F1 road car
· Shiro Nakamura, the Japanese car designer currently serves as Senior Vice President of Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.
· Ken Okuyama, is widely known for his work with Pininfarina, where he designed and supervised projects such as the Enzo Ferrari and Ferrari P4/5
· Adolfo Orsi Jr., well known auto historian and grandson and son of Adolfo and Omer Orsi, owners of Maserati between 1937 and 1967
· Frank Stephenson, McLaren’s Automotive Design Director
· Jean Todt, President of the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile
· Gorden Wagener, Chief Designer of Mercedes-Benz
· Edward T. Welburn, Vice President of Global Design at General Motors
· Ian Cameron, Brand Ambassador and former Chief Designer of Rolls-Royce Motor Cars
Following Tuesday’s announcement, the winning vehicle will be recognized on stage at the 14th annual The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering on August 19, 2016.