Hoonigan Racing Division’s Ken Block debuted his 1965 Ford Mustang Gymkhana Seven “Hoonicorn RTR” at this month’s SEMA show. The one off all-wheel drive Ford Mustang is a collaboration between head Hoonigan Block and fellow Monster Energy Athlete Vaughn Gittin Jr’s RTR Tuning.
Built at ASD Motorsports in Charlotte, North Carolina, over the course of two years, the car is based upon a 1965 Ford Mustang notchback, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. The car was heavily modified by RTR and ASD Motorsports to feature a 410 cubic inch Roush Yates V8, with 845 hp, mated to a one-off Sadev all-wheel drive system.
The styling for the build harnesses a mix of influences and inspirations that include the current crop of WRC cars, DTM cars and even toy cars from Block’s youth. This was a collaborative effort between Block and RTR-since RTR is known for their Mustang expertise. ASD Motorsports worked together to develop the customized suspension, tubular chassis and roll cage.
“I’m stoked to be able to publicly unveil this car for the first time at SEMA in the Ford booth,” said Block. “This is a project that I’ve been working on for two years, so to see it fully come to fruition and be able to drive it for Gymkhana SEVEN was absolutely amazing. I also knew that working with Vaughn [Gittin Jr.] and his RTR team was the right choice for this project since Mustang’s are their world, but they really went above and beyond on this car. The attention to detail with the fabrication and bodywork blows my mind. This is hands-down the best Gymkhana car I’ve had yet.”
What we are seeing here is that Block has essentially married a NASCAR stock car with a World Rally Championship racer.
HOONICORN RTR SPECIFICATIONS:
– MOTOR: Roush Yates 410 cubic inch Ford V8, 845 hp/720 lb.ft with ITBs
– TRANSMISSION: 6-speed Sadev SC90-24 all-wheel drive transmission with a hydraulic handbrake system
– SUSPENSION: Custom ASD Motorsports-designed geometry and components
– BODY: 1965 widebody Ford Mustang designed by RTR, Ken Block and Hoonigan, ASD Motorsports full tubular chassis, ASD Motorsports custom roll-cage, door bars and front/rear suspension mounts, RTR carbon fiber body panels
– WHEELS: fifteen52 three-piece R40, 18″ x10.5″
– TIRES: Pirelli Trofeo R, 295/30/18, custom Ken Block compound